Paul Johns is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Certified Family Life Educator, and Assistant Professor of Human Development and Family Science at Messiah College. He has a PhD in Professional Counseling from Liberty University (2018), a Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy from Bethel Seminary (2001), and a Bachelor of Arts in Family Studies from Messiah College (1996). Paul has extensive experience working with families, couples, and individuals in various outpatient and home-based settings, and has designed and facilitated numerous marriage enrichment seminars for churches. He also serves as an American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Approved Supervisor for those pursuing a marriage and family therapy license in PA.
Paul’s primary goal is to help individuals, couples, and families experience renewed freedom and beauty in their lives. If so desired, Paul is prepared and happy to help a client pursue a deeper relationship with the Lord, but he also has experience working with people from various faiths and backgrounds. Having worked through his own pain and helped others do the same, Paul understands what it means to struggle and long for hope and healing. He also understands what it is like to experience newfound freedom, himself and with others. Thus, his goal is to walk patiently, lovingly, and boldly with his clients during their times of need in a pursuit of deeper faith, hope, and love.
Paul’s approach to therapy is collaborative, short-term, systemic, experiential, and biblical (if so desired), with a bent toward emotion-focused, narrative, and Bowenian family systems therapies. His desire is to develop a deep understanding of what his client needs and pursue a course of healing most suitable to those needs.
Beyond his professional life, Paul is married with three children; enjoys being in nature, including working in his yard; appreciates good music; loves watching sports and science fiction; and embraces the opportunity to travel when possible.
- PhD in Professional Counseling from Liberty University, Lynchburg, VA
- Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy from Bethel Seminary, St. Paul, MN
- Bachelor of Arts in Family Studies from Messiah College, Grantham, PA
- Certified PREPARE/ENRICH counselor
- Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE)
- Member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Member of the National Council on Family Relations
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Approved Supervisor
- Assistant Professor of Human Development and Family Science at Messiah College
- Curriculum Vitae available upon request